Santa Barbara Brick Street Improvements
About the Project
The City of Dunedin is undertaking the restoration of a portion of Santa Barbara Drive, a brick street, between San Salvador Drive, south to the dead end, approximately 725 feet. The street condition has degraded with areas of settlement and separation of brick, resulting in an uneven street surface. The existing gutters will be replaced as settling and cracking has impeded the flow to the receiving inlets to the north and south. The primary cause of the settling of the bricks was determined through geotechnical testing which identified poor underlying soils. The plan is to first replace the gutters on both sides of the street. This will require replacement of sections of driveway aprons. The existing bricks are to be temporarily removed and approximately two (2) feet of underlying soils removed and replaced with suitable material followed by resetting of the brick. It’s expected that there will be a loss of existing brick due to existing damage and removal. Replacement brick will be purchased. The replacement brick will be matched to the existing brick as closely as possible in size and color.
Construction is expected to begin in April and may take up to 130 days to complete. Access to homes, emergency vehicles, trash collection and deliveries will be maintained throughout the project. There will be traffic safety measures taken throughout.
Santa Barbara Drive, south of San Salvador Drive.
Dates / Times
The project was awarded to Evolution Contracting, LLC. on February 21, 2023. The contractor will provide a schedule to the residents and maintain continuous communication with updates on construction activities. Any questions on the schedule and details of the work should be directed to Mike Blanton.
Typically, work will be conducted between Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm unless otherwise notified, and unless there is an emergency.
Inspector Mike Blanton
Evolution Contracting, LLC.
Residents Should Know
- Residents will know when construction is to start with a door hanger 1 week prior to the start of any work.
- Gutter work will extend a few feet back into yards.
- Adjustments to driveway aprons are needed. New concrete sections will be poured. Pavers removed and reset. Any damaged pavers will be replaced with pavers in matching size and pattern (as close as possible).
- Any impact to yards (sod, irrigation, other) will be replaced.
- Existing drain pipes through gutter will be replaced.
- Access to residences will be provided but may be restricted to one lane at times. There may be temporary limitation of vehicle access to driveways, but street parking will be available and notice provided in advance.
- All project schedules are weather and contractor dependent and subject to change.