Skip to page body Home About Dunedin Living Visiting Doing Business Government How Do I

Sinkhole Questions & Answers

What are the warning signs of a sinkhole?

Click here for an informational brochure from the Southwest Florida Water Management District (SWFWMD) on sinkholes, how they form, and warning signs.

What should I do if I think I have a sinkhole?

If you think you have a sinkhole problem, please click here to be directed to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection which offers a wealth of information and resources.

What is the City’s role in sinkhole remediation?

The City’s role comes after a claim has been filed with the insurance company, a geotech report has been conducted, and a private engineer has been brought in to design a repair.  The City is only involved in receiving the permit application, reviewing the certification from the engineer who designed the repair and certifies that the work was done to his/her report standard, and issuing a permit if approved. Upon receipt of the Engineer's Certificate of Completion, the City Building Inspector will perform a final inspection to determine if the site was left in an acceptable condition.

Are there any sinkholes in Dunedin?

The City of Dunedin maintains records of subsidence locations, some of which may be sinkholes. There is a map available for public view in the waiting room of the Planning & Development office at 737 Louden Avenue, 2nd floor. Please contact the Building Division at 727-298-3210 to review the subsidence documentation.

Last updated: 3/6/2017 11:24:45 AM